Like the previous versions of Animal Crossing on Nintendo GameCube and DS, Wii’s City Folk is chock full of “stuff” to find and acquire. Best estimates place the number of collectibles and items at roughly double the number found in Wild World on DS.
Many of these collectibles are found by playing through the game and receiving them from town residents or buying them from Tom Nook. Others require thinking outside the box and being in the right locations at the right time to get your hands on.
The following guide will aid you in uncovering item upgrades, collecting traditional items quicker by obtaining more Bells as well as getting your hands on some of the tougher collectibles to come across.
Bank Deposit Unlockables
Depositing Bells in the bank can reap a trio of rewards.
- Shopping Card: Deposit 10,000 Bells
- Box Of Tissues: Deposit 100,000 Bells
- Gold Card: Bank grants you “VIP” status
Change Shoe Colors
Kicks the skunk, usually hanging out on stairs in the city, likes to shine shoes. When he does the color of your shoes will change to match your hair.
Free Bug Net
Town mayor Tortimer is hanging out at the Fishing Contest. Have a chat with him to score the net.
Free Fishing Rod
Town mayor Tortimer is hanging out at the Bug Catching Contest. Have a chat with him to score the rod.
Free Mushroom Furnishings
Mushrooms appear around town in the mid-afternoon around trees. Be sure to check them often for free pieces to the Mushroom Furniture set.
Free Tortimer’s Furnishings
Town mayor Tortimer is a big fan of holidays. Seeking him out on these days for one of six Tortimer furnishings.
- Cool Globe: Nature Day (April 22)
- Leaf: April Fool’s Day (April 1)
- Picnic Basket: Labor Day (September 1)
- Resetti Model: Groundhog Day (February 2)
- Sailboat Model: Explorer’s Day (October 13)
- Wheat Bundle: Harvest Moon (Random September Day, check calendar in game)
Gold and Silver Tool Upgrades
Metal tools are useful but silver and gold upgrades can be had be completing tasks or being in the right place at the right time.
- Silver Axe: Toss your axe into the town fountain
- Silver Fishing Rod: Buy at Tom Nook’s
- Silver Net: Buy at Tom Nook’s
- Silver Shovel: Found downtown at Resetti’s Surveillance Center
- Silver Slingshot: Buy at Tom Nook’s
- Silver Watering Can: Buy 50 bags of seed at Tom Nook’s
- Golden Axe: Toss your axe into the town fountain (gold is random)
- Golden Fishing Rod: Catch every fish species
- Golden Net: Catch every insect species
- Golden Shovel: Bury a shovel anywhere then dig it up four days later
- Golden Slingshot: Shoot and down 8 balloons for a chance at one
- Golden Watering Can: Sustain a “Perfect” town rating for 15 days then find Pelly at Town Hall
Home Improvement Costs
The following price guideline refers to expanding the size of your home.
- House Purchase: 19,800 Bells
- First Floor Expansion: 120,000 Bells
- First Floor Expansion #2: 248,000 Bells
- Add Second Floor: 368,000 Bells
- Add Basement: 598,000 Bells
Rack Up Bells
There is a rock in town that, if whacked repeatedly, will continually dole out Bells
Tom Nook’s Store Prizes
A single point is earned for every 100 Bells spent at Nook’s store which can be used to purchase any of these ten special prizes.
- Banana: 500 points
- Triple Shells: 800 points
- Yoshi’s Egg: 1,000 points
- Bad Bro ‘Stache: 2,500 points
- Toad Hat: 3,000 points
- Peach’s Parasol: 4,000 points
- Hero’s Clothes, Varia Suit or Wario Hat: 5,000 points
- Hero’s Cap, Majora’s Mask or Samus Mask: 6,000 points
- Midna’s Mask: 6,500 points
- Kart: 10,000 points
Town Fund Donation Unlockables
Donating Bells to the Town Fund at Town Hall can yield three structures or seven status symbol items depending on how many Bells are donated.
- Bridge built: Donate 200,000 Bells
- Fountain built: Donate 500,000 Bells
- Windmill or lighthouse built: Donate 1,000,000 Bells
- Green Feather: Donate 100,000,000 Bells
- Blue Feather: Donate 200,000,000 Bells
- Yellow Feather: Donate 300,000,000 Bells
- Red Feather: Donate 400,000,000 Bells
- Purple Feather: Donate 500,000,000 Bells
- White Feather: Donate 600,000,000 Bells
- Rainbow Feather: Donate 700,000,000 Bells
Winning either the Bug or Fishing Contest by catching the biggest bug or fish will yield a trophy.
On any Monday night, journey to the southeast corner of your town and listen for a voice. Its directtions will lead you to Whisp the Ghost who wants you to find his lost lamp. Find the lamp and go to your house’s attic where Whisp will grant you one of three wishes.
- Remove all the cockroaches
- Remove all the town’s weeds
- Receive a random tie
You can read our full review of Animal Crossing: City Folk for Nintendo Wii right here.