For several years I’ve felt the toys-to-life genre lent itself to allowing consumers the ability to 3D print their own figures. With Skylanders Imaginators that ability has finally arrived as a limited feature, along with a new free mobile app called Skylanders Creator and some other launch goodies.
The folks at Toys For Bob have been busy doing a lot more than making a traditional video game over the past couple years. For a limited time you will be able to take the Skylanders Imaginator character created in-game and purchase a working version of this figure for $49.99. Availability varies by territory so be on the lookout for more details at launch on October 13th.
I can tell you know that shipping is free in North America, delivery time is 2-3 weeks, and the program is extremely limited so you will want to act fast. More details about the figure’s appearance are in the official bullets from Activision below.
Rather than recreate Skylanders Imaginators for tablets and phones, Activision has tapped developer Finger Food Studios for a Skylanders Creator app. This free app lets you create your Skylanders Imaginator character away from the core game and move them into the game or vice-versa.
You’ll need the Skylanders Creator app to order your 3D printed Skylanders figure so make sure to download it immediately at launch.
In addition to the 3D printed figure you can also order a few other goodies associated with your personal Skylander creation:
- 3D Printed Imaginator Figure – Leveraging the robust creation tools in Skylanders Imaginators, now fans can bring their 3D created character from the digital world to life in the physical world as a 3D printed Skylanders Imaginator figure. The custom printed Imaginator arrives in full color, posed on a base and enclosed in a clear protective dome, making it a true collector’s item. The figure is fully playable in the Skylanders Imaginators console game! Quantities for the 3D printed characters will be limited.
- Get a Figure Early – Fans will have the opportunity to be among the first to receive their custom 3D printed figure by participating in one of many Skylanders promotional marketing campaigns at launch, including a global Skylanders contest.
- Imaginator T-Shirt – Portal Masters can also show off their Imaginator on a high-quality, customized T-shirt featuring an image of their very own creation! Available for order through the app, created Imaginators will be printed in full color on the front of the shirt along with the character’s Battle Class, Element and name!
- Imaginator Card – Fans can purchase a high-quality, custom trading card emblazoned with a full color image of their creation! The character card is fully playable in the Skylanders Imaginators console game! Simply place the card on the Portal of Power and watch your creation come to life! While the card image will remain the same, players will have the flexibility to change the in-game version of the character (e.g., appearance, weapons, catchphrase, etc.) saved on the card any way they want using the creation tools at any time.
The Skylanders Creator app will have its own unique features separate from the main game, all of which are absolutely free of charge. Here’s a rundown:
- Timed Imaginite Chests – Timed Chests give users new creation parts for their Imaginator at certain times during the day. Fans are encouraged to check the app frequently to discover new weapons, gear and creation parts that will enhance their Skylanders!
- Sensei Chests – Once a day, Senseis featured in Skylanders Imaginators will give players special parts unique to that Skylander, allowing fans to build upon their collection of parts.
- My Imaginators’ Creation Gallery – Skylanders Creator also features a collection menu where players can access all of their created Imaginators.
- Share – Fans can share their Imaginators with the world! Through the app, users who have registered on social media sites can upload their newly created Imaginators to those sites. They can also send text messages, e-mails and photos from their camera roll of their newly created Skylanders to family and friends.
- Full Character Viewing – Players create their Imaginators in landscape view to allow for optimal ease-of- use of the creation tools on their mobile devices. Users can also get closer views of their characters in portrait view. Pinch, zoom, and rotate are additionally supported, giving players full control over how they want to view their characters.
Skylanders Imaginators will be available for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, Ps3 and Wii U.