Marvel is still on the hunt for someone to direct the first Cinematic Phase 3 film, Ant-Man, after Anchorman director Adam McKay decided he couldn’t fit the film into this schedule.
The Ant-Man drama began on March 23 when director and co-writer Edgar Wright, who had been attached to the film and working on it in some capacity dating back to 2006, abruptly left the project. Marvel and Wright said the parting was amicable and over creative differences, but over the past few days, rumors have begun to swirl that Marvel interfered with the script behind Wright’s back.
McKay emerged as a frontrunner on Friday and negotiations were said to be underway with Marvel. He seemed like a great fit considering his multi-film familiarity with Ant-Man star Paul Rudd. However, as of this morning, McKay chose not to take negotiations any further as he decided he couldn’t make the project work. His reasoning was simple: he already had too much on his plate.
Here is what McKay posted to Twitter earlier today:
And yes, met w/Marvel. Kirby & Lee r my Lennon Mccartney so it was awesome. But have other projects I'm committed to. Not sure it can work.
— Adam McKay (@GhostPanther) May 31, 2014
For Marvel the hunt continues to find someone willing to step in and direct a film that is a little over a year away from release, has a completed script, and has most if not all of the scenes worked out in pre-viz. According to THR, Rawson Marshall (We’re The Millers) and Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) are also on Marvel’s radar, and one or both of them could be meeting with the studio this weekend or early next week.
With Ant-Man hitting theaters on July 17, 2015, it is imperative for Marvel to get a director locked in ASAP so production isn’t delayed.