Jim Henson’s Labyrinth starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. With Bowie passing earlier this year, Sony Picture Home Entertainment’s timing to go all-out on a Labyrinth 30th Anniversary theatrical re-release and 4K restoration is all the more fitting.
On September 11th and 14th, Labyrinth will return to theaters for a special limited engagement with exclusive content. Then on September 20th you’ll be able to purchase Labyrinth 30th Anniversary on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD including a Blu-ray Limited Edition Gift Set in unique “mirrorbox” packaging that will initially only be available to buy at Amazon.com.
The Labyrinth 30th Anniversary 4K restoration was conducted from the 35mm original camera negative. You will only find this restoration on the 4K UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray editions of the film, as well as exclusive Dolby Atmos Audio.
Bonus features are a mix of legacy features and a handful of all-new extras created specifically for the 30th anniversary. Here’s the full rundown:
- ALL-NEW: “The Henson Legacy” Featurette – Jennifer Connelly and the Henson family talk about the art of puppetry and the magic of Jim Henson, along with a visit to the “Center for Puppetry Arts” featuring The Jim Henson Collection and over 100 puppets from Labyrinth.
- ALL-NEW: Labyrinth Anniversary Q&A – Hosted by Mythbuster’s Adam Savage with participants Brian Henson, David Goelz and Karen Prell, and surprise guest Sheri Weiser
- ALL-NEW: “The Goblin King” Featurette – Remembering David Bowie with co-star Jennifer Connelly, and Jim Henson’s children Brian Henson and Cheryl Henson.
- The Storytellers (Picture-in-Picture)
- Commentary by Conceptual Designer Brian Froud
- Original Making of Documentary “Inside The Labyrinth”
- “Journey Through the Labyrinth: Kingdom of Characters” Documentary
- “Journey Through the Labyrinth: The Quest for Goblin City” Documentary
- Theatrical Trailer