The Guns of Navarone have been cleared to fire on Blu-ray with Sony slotting the World War II classic into an October 18 release date.
Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn star in the film that won an Oscar in 1961 for Best Visual Effects. It traces a small group of Allied soldiers tasked with infiltrating a Nazi-controlled Greek island and destroying a pair of massive long-range guns that are preventing the rescue to 2,000 British soldiers being held behind enemy lines. It spawned a sequel in 1978, Force 10 From Navarone, which stars Harrison Ford.
The Guns of Navarone on Blu-ray will be presented in 2.35:1 1080p video and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Bonus features are extensive and include the following:
- The Greek Resistance
- The Old School Wizardry of The Guns of Navarone
- World War II and the Greek Islands
- The Real World of Guns of Navarone
- The Navarone Effect
- Military Fact or Fiction
- Commentary with Film Historian Stephen J. Rubin
- Commentary with Director J. Lee Thompson
- Forging the Guns of Navarone: Notes from the Set
- Ironic Epic of Heroism
- Epic Restoration Featurette
- A Heroic Score
- Narration-free Prologue
- Roadshow Intermission
- Memories of Navarone Retrospective Documentary
- Message from Carl Foreman
- Great Guns Original Featurette
- No Visitors Featurette
- Honeymoon on Rhodes
- Two Girls On The Town Original Featurette
Click here to pre-order The Guns of Navarone on Blu-ray for a discounted price at Amazon.com.