Confirming a rumor report we published back in late March, Disney today announced a June 11 release date for Oz The Great and Powerful on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD.
Oz The Great and Powerful is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz and directed by Sam Raimi. It stars James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams.
Disney is releasing a total of three Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D skus of Oz The Great and Powerful. The Blu-ray combo pack is straightfoward with a DVD and digital copy of the film also included in the package. A single-disc Blu-ray version will also include a digital copy.
The Blu-ray 3D edition sheds all other formats save for a digital copy. The only way to own the Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray versions of the films is to buy both skus individually.
The following bonus features are only available on the Blu-ray combos and will not appear on the Blu-ray 3D version.
- The Magic of “Oz The Great and Powerful” (Second Screen Experience) – An immersive Second Screen experience that details all things Oz. From an interactive map full of secrets and surprises, to an inside look at the spectacular world of Oz. All fans need to do is download the special “The Magic of Oz The Great and Powerful: Second Screen” App (which is free and currently available for immediate download at the iTunes Store for iPads) which provides fans with infinite opportunities to remain connected to their favorite film, its cast of characters and to dive deeper into the magical world of Oz. This App provides exclusive access to invigorating and exclusive content including:
- The Enchanting Characters and Creatures of Oz – From Munchkins and Tinkers to good witches, bad witches, and flying baboons, this piece follows each character and creature of the Land of Oz from inspiration to final outcome.
- The Sounds of Magical Oz – What adds fragility to the sounds of China Girl’s footsteps; ferocity to the tornado; or weight to the flutter of Finley’s flapping wings?
- Sleight of Hand: Zach Braff Puppet Theater – Actor, and voice of Finley, Zach Braff introduces viewers to the Finley mockup.
- Mariah Carey Music Video
- My Journey in Oz by James Franco – A personal story produced and directed by James Franco.
- Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions – An interview with composer Danny Elfman unveils his inspiration in scoring “Oz The Great And Powerful.”
- China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief – This feature uncloaks the several forms of movie magic employed to bring China Girl to life, from the initial artwork and character design, to the on-set puppeteering during filmmaking, and finally, through each stage of the visual-effects process; and includes an interview with Joey King, the voice of China Girl.
- Before Your Very Eyes: From Kansas to Oz – Production designer Robert Stromberg takes viewers through the set design of the Land of Oz, from sketching his original ideas on a napkin, through to the final set pieces and the accompanying visual effects.
- Mila’s Metamorphosis – Lead makeup artist Howard Berger expands on one of the oldest, most tried-and-true forms of movie magic: makeup design and effects.
- Walt Disney and the Road to Oz – It is well known that Walt Disney had a fascination with the Land of Oz since he was a child. See how that fascination grew into inspiration as he began planning for his own adaptation of the stories in the classic Baum books.
Click here to pre-order Oz The Great and Powerful on Blu-ray and DVD combo for $31.49 at Amazon.com, 30% off the $44.99 list price.
Click here to pre-order Oz The Great and Powerful on Blu-ray 3D for $31.49 at Amazon.com, 30% off the $44.99 list price.