Steven Spielberg’s JAWS will surface for the first time on Blu-ray on August 14, packing over four hours of content, one piece of which was created specifically for this release.
Starring Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Sneider and Robert Shaw, JAWS was first outed for a Blu-ray release sometime this year, last year. It’s appearance is part of Universal’s big 100th anniversary, and is one of 13 films being fully restored from 35mm original film elements to 4k resolution as part of the celebration. Steven Spielberg personally “monitored” the entire restoration process, which also included up-mixing the 5.1 soundtrack to 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio for the Blu-ray release.
In short, the extensive and meticulate restoration of JAWS will remove scratches and dirt, balance the colors, and repair damage on a frame-by-frame basis. JAWS should look and sound better than it ever has.
The Blu-ray edition of JAWS will also include the DVD version and an UltraViolet digital copy. New is ‘The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS,’ a feature-length documentary including never-before-seen footage with the cast and crew. Additional bonus features include:
- JAWS: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.
- The Making of JAWS: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
- From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
- Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
- JAWS Archives: Take a peek inside the JAWS archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the JAWS phenomenon.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Below is the JAWS Blu-ray cover art, a Blu-ray trailer, a video regarding the JAWS restoration, and an official screen cap from the Blu-ray (click to enlarge).
Click here to pre-order JAWS on Blu-ray for $20.99 at Amazon.com, 30% off the $29.99 list price.