Now that you have hopefully read through the previous three articles in our extensive Skylanders SuperChargers preview, you’re probably wondering when the heck is this game coming out! I’m happy to report that the official Skylanders SuperChargers release date is Sunday, September 20 in North America, September 24 (APAC) and September 25 (EU).
The Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Pack with the Portal of Power, Hot Streak, Spitfire, Super Shot Stealth Elf will be available for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Wii and iPad at a price of $74.99. Note the Wii version will not be identical to the other versions for obvious reasons. The 3DS version, also different, will be priced at $64.99.
A first for the franchise will allow players who purchase the Digital Portal Owners Starter Pack to download the full game on Internet-connected consoles or select iPads and play the game from start to finish using only Instant Spitfire SuperCharger and Instant Hot Streak. Those who go the digital route also have the option of plugging in a Portal of Power from previous games and using physical toys without needing the new Starter Pack with the new Portal of Power and physical toys.
As far as toy pricing goes, Activision is selling the vehicles at $14.99 each and the SuperChargers characters at $12.99 each.
Here’s the official Skylanders SuperChargers announcement press release interspersed with more high resolution artwork and images from the game.
Official Skylanders SuperChargers Announcement
Rev your engines! Skylanders, the #1 kids’ console franchise worldwide is taking to Land, Sea and Air with Skylanders SuperChargers on September 20 in North America. Skylanders SuperChargers expands upon the franchise’s signature gameplay to introduce vehicles-to-life — an entirely new way for fans to experience the magic of Skylands. For the first time, kids can explore and navigate the mountainous terrains, deep sea environments and big blue skies of Skylands like never before with amazingly detailed vehicles, many of which feature moving parts that will play in the real world and come to life via the Portal of Power in the game.
The trailblazing vehicles-to-life innovation of Skylanders SuperChargers is realized when players take helm of powerful, tricked-out land, sea and sky vehicles. Skylanders SuperChargers is an unprecedented high octane action-adventure videogame where fans have the freedom to speed across Skylands’ roads in vehicular combat, race down roaring rapids and engage in aerial dogfights as they barrel roll through enemy swarms.
In Skylanders SuperChargers, Kaos’ quest to rule over Skylands reveals his most sinister weapon ever – a massive “Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction” capable of eating the sky itself. Fortunately, Master Eon had seen the warning signs and assembled a special team of Skylanders to pilot an unstoppable fleet of vehicles with the power to destroy the reign of destruction! With Skylands facing its greatest threat, the Skylanders must pilot their supercharged vehicles over land, under sea, and through the sky to stop Kaos!
SuperChargers, a brand new class of heroes, bring fresh moves, powerful attacks and all-new weapons. Skylanders SuperChargers supports all 300+ Skylanders toys from previous games, enabling any Skylanders character to pilot land, sea or sky-based vehicles. Additionally, for the first time, players can purchase the digital Portal Owners Pack via connected consoles or for select iPads. They can download the full AAA game and complete the mainline game with Instant Spitfire SuperCharger and Instant Hot Streak vehicle. They can also use a Portal they already own to enjoy the full game experience with physical toys from the new Skylanders SuperChargers along with their existing collections.
- Vehicles-to-Life – For the first time, players can take their Skylanders vehicles straight from the real world into the videogame via the Portal of Power to explore the land, sea and skies of Skylands. The vehicles are aligned by element and terrain type, giving players unique abilities and diverse experiences across different settings throughout the game. Not only are the vehicles playable in game, but many will have movable parts making the toys fun and playable outside of the game.
- More Diverse Gameplay – The game delivers a dynamic, story-driven gameplay experience, filled with vehicle-based and on-foot adventure – complete with combat, puzzles, mini games, activities and platforming — all set within a variety of compelling environments. There will be 20 new vehicles toys that fans can play with that feature a variety of designs and types – race cars, motorcycles, boats, tanks, helicopters, jets, submarines and more.
- Land: Stunt, skid, and drift while driving and experiencing high octane combat
- Sea: Explore underwater seas, race down roaring rapids and ride the surf and waves
- Sky: Engage in aerial dogfighting and enjoy freedom of flight with 360 degrees of control
- New and Returning Heroes – A brand-new class of Skylanders, known as SuperChargers are ready to buckle up and throw down in their fight against evil. Skylanders SuperChargers introduces 20 new SuperChargers toys and supports all 300+ Skylanders toys from previous games, enabling any Skylanders character to pilot land, sea or sky-based vehicles. SuperChargers also have special in-game abilities that help Portal Masters fight Kaos.
- Customized Vehicles – In Skylanders SuperChargers, kids explore Skylands like never before by going behind the wheel of powerful, tricked-out vehicles. SuperChargers will have the ability to customize vehicles in-game with super cool modifications and upgradeable weapons. As players travel throughout the game, they can also discover hidden mods such as a volcanic booster engine that spews lava rocks and jet wings with feathers made of gold.
- SuperCharged Combos – For the ultimate gaming experience, players can pair a SuperCharger Skylander with its unique signature vehicle to create a SuperCharged combination, unlocking an exclusive mod that revs up the performance of both the vehicle and character.
- Fast-Paced Storyline – Fans can immerse themselves in an all-new, high-velocity adventure that ignites imaginations and fuels excitement as they speed through Skylands like never before.
Last and certainly not least I’ll leave you with the new Skylanders SuperChargers key art that reveals a new SuperCharger Trigger Happy, SuperCharger Terrafin, and a new purple SuperCharger female character driving a sporty speedboat.
There’s still a lot more to learn about Skylanders SuperChargers and I suspect more than a few surprises are being kept under wraps for the time being. Kaos Mode in Trap Team wasn’t unveiled until August of last year. What else awaits, I wonder?
Look for some more Skylanders SuperChargers characters and vehicles to potentially be revealed at E3 in a couple weeks.
Part 4: Release Date and Official Announcement (you are here)