Duncan Jones takes adaptations of video games into movies to a new level with Warcraft, a big budget adventure that has earned over $433 million at the worldwide box office. The next stop for Warcraft is home video and I’ve got the release dates you need to know.
Warcraft will first arrive on home video in the Digital HD format on September 13th. The physical disc formats including Warcraft 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD drop two weeks later on September 27th.
The Warcraft 4K UHD Blu-ray also includes the film on Blu-ray and Digital HD. Its bonus features mirror those found on the Blu-ray combo pack pictured below, and all high-def versions will include Dolby Atmos audio.
Blu-ray exclusive bonus features:
- WARCRAFT: Bonds of Brotherhood Motion Comic: Take an interactive journey through the official WARCRAFT graphic novel with a never-before-seen motion comic that brings the story of the film’s young heroes – Prince Llane, Captain Lothar and Guardian Medivh – to life in this unique experience.
- The World of Warcraft on Film: The “World of Warcraft” is much more than just a game – it is a cultural phenomenon as documented in this comprehensive multi-part feature focused on bringing the unique environs of WARCRAFT to film:
- The World of Talent: Fans can learn more about the casts’ reactions to being a part of the WARCRAFT film, how they prepared for their role and the challenges they encountered during filming.
- The World of VFX: The WARCRAFT universe wouldn’t exist without the tireless efforts of the VFX crew. Follow along with the filmmakers as they tell the story of howWARCRAFT came to life through VFX.
- Outfitting a World: Learn how the filmmakers worked with WETA workshop, Blizzard, and acclaimed costume designer Mayes Rubeo to create the weaponry and armor that must be familiar and otherworldly at the same time, all while creating a unique aesthetic for the film.
- The World of MOCAP: An overview of the creation of the Orcs and other digital characters from inception all the way through to the final execution. Through extensive footage of the actors in their MOCAP suits and live in-camera renderings during production, the audience will see the incredible effort that went into creating the Orcs.
- The World of Stunts: Though much of WARCRAFT was created through extensive VFX, the fight scenes and stunts had to be very real. In this featurette, fans can learn more about the extensive fight choreography and stunt work that fueled the film’s action from beginning to end.
- Madame Tussauds’ Featurette: Featurette on the making of the WARCRAFT wax figures by Madame Tussauds.
- WARCRAFT Teaser: An early teaser which premiered at San Diego Comic-Con in 2013.
Shared extras between Blu-ray and DVD:
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
- Origin Story
- The Fandom of WARCRAFT: Delve into the history and breadth of the fandom behind the game and film, as well as the way it has influenced pop culture.
- ILM: Behind the Magic of WARCRAFT: See some of the groundbreaking facial capture technology utilized by Industrial Lights & Magic to convey the emotion and depth of the visually impressive Orc characters in the film.
Here’s a new Warcraft trailer created exclusively for this home video announcement: