Lucasfilm and Disney have announced the home entertainment plans for Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, also known as Star Wars Episode 8.
The Digital HD versions including 4K via Movies Anywhere will be available first on March 13th. Two weeks later on March 27th is when you’ll find the Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD editions on store shelves.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi stars Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, Frank Oz and Benicio Del Toro.
The Last Jedi marks the first Star Wars film to be released in 4K UHD on home video. It also marks the first Disney 4K UHD title to include both Dolby Vision HDR as well as Dolby Atmos audio.
Highlighting a collection of bonus features are 14! never-before-seen deleted scenes with optional commentary by Rian Johnson. Here’s a complete rundown of all the extras available on all high definition versions.
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
Note there may be some retailer exclusive bonus features revealed at a later date as well.
You can currently pre-order the Digital version of Star Wars: The Last Jedi with bonus features at Amazon for under $20.