The official Stanley Kubrick Twitter account made waves today when it announced a 4K restoration of The Shining is coming to 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital on October 1st.
This new The Shining 4K restoration will premiere at Cannes on Friday with esteemed filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón providing an introduction.
It’s too early to talk about bonus features as Warner Bros. hasn’t sent out their official press release. They are talking about the remastering effort at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging that includes a 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative, with Janet Wilson handling color grading under the supervision of Stanley Kubrick’s former personal assistant, Leon Vitali.
“Here’s Johnny!” Look out for the return of #StanleyKubrick’s horror masterpiece, #TheShining, on 4k Ultra HD, Blu-Ray and Digital Download October 1. Premiering this Friday at the @Festival_Cannes, with a special introduction from Oscar-winning director, Alfonso Cuaron. pic.twitter.com/6pHNHkPBsl
— Stanley Kubrick (@StanleyKubrick) May 15, 2019
The social media announcement includes the film’s new key art, and below is a new The Shining 4K trailer. Expect the key art to be used on the 4K Ultra HD combo pack.
— Adam Rackoff (@AdamRackoff) May 15, 2019
In addition, Best Buy has listed an exclusive The Shining 4K UHD Steelbook combo pack for order, also set for release on October 1st.
We’ll pass along additional details about The Shining’s 4K debut when they’re available.
Update: approximately three hours of legacy bonus features will also be included:
- Audio commentary by Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown and Stanley Kubrick biographer John Baxter
- Video from the Overlook: Crafting The Shining
- Enter the terrifying world of the Overlook Hotel as only Stanley Kubrick could envision it
- The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
- A detailed look at one of cinema’s greatest visual storytellers and his unique ability to move audiences through the magic of unforgettable images
- The Making of The Shining
- This cinema verite documentary offers a rare glimpse into the directing style of Stanley Kubrick as he interacts with stars Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall and others
- Wendy Carlos, Composer
- Composer Wendy Carlos reflects on working with complex auteur Stanley Kubrick and developing music scores for The Shining and A Clockwork Orange