One of the coolest modern Sci-Fi flicks is finally getting a remaster with news that The Matrix is coming to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on May 22nd.
It’s been 19 years since The Matrix starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne and Carrie-Anne Moss was released theatrically, and 15 years since it was last remastered.
That drought finally comes to an end as Bill Pope (The Matrix Trilogy, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Baby Driver), the film’s director of photography, has overseen an all-new remaster from the original film elements. We are the benefactors of this effort as we’ll get to see The Matrix in 4K UHD with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos Audio in just over two months time.
The Matrix UHD release also includes a new Blu-ray edition and Digital HD edition, both featuring the new remaster. The inclusive Blu-ray is not any of the previously released versions.
Bonus features are included on both the 4K UHD Blu-ray and the Blu-ray as follows:
The Matrix Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:
- Written Introduction by the Wachowskis
- “Philosopher” Commentary by Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilbur
- “Critics” Commentary by Todd McCarthy, John Powers and David Thomson
- “Cast & Crew” Commentary by Carrie-Anne Moss, Zach Staenberg and John Gaeta
- “Composer” Commentary by Don Davis with Music Only Track
The Matrix Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:
- The Matrix Revisited
- Follow the White Rabbit
- Take the Red Pill
- Marilyn Manson “Rock is Dead” Music Video
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
Here’s a look at The Matrix 4K UHD Blu-ray cover art. We’ll be back with a pre-order link when it’s ready.