Director Christopher Nolan’s ambitious film Interstellar starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine and John Lithgow has been cleared to arrive in your home on Digital HD beginning March 17, 2015. The Interstellar Blu-ray and DVD release date is a couple weeks later on March 31, 2015 as we posted a few days ago in our big Blu-ray release date rumors post.
Interstellar blasted off at the box office back in early November and has earned nearly $186 million at the domestic box office with a helping hand from IMAX showings. Worldwide totals aren’t quite out of this world but have soared pretty high to $663.3 million thus far. The Academy found merit in the film’s accomplishments and bestowed it with five nominations including Best Visual Effects, Best Production Design, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing and Best Original Score.
Christopher Nolan deliberately did not film Interstellar in 3D as he prefers the IMAX medium for select sequences. As such, for a limited time, the Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD combo pack version of Interstellar will include a single film cell taken from an authentic 70MM IMAX print of the film.
The combo pack is a three-disc set that includes the film in 1080p video and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Bonus feature are extensive as listed below:
- The Science of Interstellar—Extended cut of the broadcast special.
- Plotting an Interstellar Journey—Discusses the film’s origins, influences and narrative designs.
- Life on Cooper’s Farm—Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
- The Dust—Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
- TARS and CASE—Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
- Cosmic Sounds—The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer’s unforgettable score.
- The Space Suits—A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
- The Endurance—Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
- Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann’s Planet—Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
- The Ranger and the Lander—A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
- Miniatures in Space—Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
- The Simulation of Zero-G—Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
- Celestial Landmarks—Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
- Across All Dimensions and Time—A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
- Final Thoughts—The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
- Theatrical Trailers
The Interstellar Blu-ray pre-order page at Amaazon.com has temporarily vanished. We’ll update with the pre-order link once it returns. In the meantime enjoy the Interstellar Blu-ray combo cover art below.